Accessibility to free information is a top priority at the Nashville Public Library (NPL). This rule applies for our smallest patrons as well. NPL offers a range of services for children with differing abilities. NPL can meet all our patron’s information needs starting with diverse reading materials to parent resources, not to mention our Library Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Here are a few ways we do that:
- Our collection development librarians select a diverse range of titles that represent ALL Not only do children need to see themselves in the stories they are reading, but this is also how children develop an understanding of the world around them. Here’s a booklist of titles that feature children with differing abilities. We have also included a Spanish booklist for children and families here.
- NPL partnered with Vanderbilt Kennedy Center’s TRIAD to develop social stories that help families prepare for visits to the library. Here you will find a list of social stories for each of our locations. These accommodations were created for people with autism but are helpful for anyone visiting for the first time.
- At the Main Library, children’s staff provide visual schedules during their programming. These schedules assist families by visually and verbally recognizing tasks during a program thus creating a routine and lowering the possibility of any surprises.
- Our crafting program is typically a passive, drop-in activity. Therefore, patrons need to be able to have access to instructions. We use simple, task analysis instruction with real examples (shown to the left) to help minimize any confusion.
- The children’s department at the Main Library is a fun and vibrant place. We understand that at certain times of the day, it can be overwhelming. NPL has several quiet, private rooms where families can go to rest and recharge.
- The Main Library is home to Library Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (LSDHH). Not only do they provide Signing Story Time but they also offer interpreters for our Wishing Chair marionette shows.
- There are many more accommodations that NPL offers. You can find all of them here.
Since the start of the COVID pandemic, the children’s department has worked hard to maintain the same level of service we provide when our doors are open. Staff have continued to use visual schedules during Zoom programming, crafts are available for curbside pickup with task analysis instruction and video demonstrations via our Facebook page, and more diverse, digital content is available in our children’s collection. Visit our event calendar for a list of programs we are offering. Happy reading, learning, and connecting!